Frequently Asked Questions

Where and when can we get married?

You can marry anywhere in Australia, on any day, at any time. If you’re going for somewhere outdoors like a park or beach, check with the local council as there is often a booking process, permit and fee to pay. And make sure you have a backup plan in case of poor weather.


How much notice do we have to give?

At least one month before your wedding day and no more than 18 months ahead. Allow enough time to get everything together for your Notice of Intended Marriage – you might need to apply for a copy of your birth certificate or apply for suitable ID, which can take time.

What documents do I need to show you?

Just your passport. If you don’t have one, you can show me your birth certificate and photo ID, such as a driver’s licence.


What if I’ve been married before?

I’ll need to see proof of divorce certificate.


What if my documents are not in English?

They will need to be translated. The Marriage Act 1961 stipulates they must be translated by an official NAATI translator. I can help you arrange this if required.


I’m not an Australian citizen or resident. Can I still get married here?

Yes. There is no requirement for you to be a citizen, and there is no minimum residency period.

Where to I start?  Can you give us ideas?

Of course! That’s a big part of my job. I can supply you with samples, suggestions, tips, advice, pointers and help to get you thinking. That will get you thinking along the right lines and prepare you for when we meet to discuss and plan your ceremony in detail.


Do I need a witness?

You need to nominate two witnesses who are 18 years old or above who will sign your Marriage Certificate at the ceremony.

It is an honour and a privilege to officiate in a marriage ceremony.
One of the most important days in your life.

Contact Katherine